Friday, February 27, 2009

Why we avoid princess movies

A couple months ago I DVR'ed the Disney version of the Three Musketeers.  The boys, especiallyVance, love it.  I usually let them watch it while I shower.  Because it was recorded off TV, they have to watch the commercials.  One of the commercials is for the Sleeping Beauty DVD.  They play a big portion of the "Once upon a dream song," with the video of princess Aurora frolicking and singing in the woods with the forest animals.

Yesterday I bathed the boys, then went to get them dressed.  Vance took his towel, and draped it over his body like a flowing gown, then to my horror declared, "I'm a princess." Then he proceeded to sing the once upon a dream song!  Not his proudest moment. :) 
Mason also once made the princess declaration when I let him watch Cinderella when he was younger(much younger!).  Since then, there  has been a strict ban on princess movies in our home.  I am not raising any princesses here!

9 comments:

Jen and Brent said...

That is too funny!

Deanne said...

Too funny!

Unfortunately for us, Truman has already been exposed to more princess things than any man should in his entire lifetime! That's what a big sis does for you, I guess.

Rebecca said...

What wrong with princesses?! We used to dress up my little brothers and they loved it! I guess with three boys they won't be exposed to that. Oh well.

Rachel said...

LOL! That's hilarious!

Des said...

haha that is great! I'm nervous about Jack, hope he turns out ok. He loves everthing Sydney loves- espiecally the PINK toy and the Princess BALL. I hope the "boy" gene kicks in and tells him what to do.
That mickey movie is awesome! Syd's favorite, I totally accidently deleted it. ugh. can we come watch it over there :) hehe

Missy said...

LOL! Yeah, playing dress-up and singing seems to appeal to both genders. Unfortunately there aren't many little "guy" movies that inspire it so much as the princess types. I can definitely see Jordan having issues with that kind of behavior!

Natalie said...

Hilarious! My girls were thrilled to hear that their friend is "Princess Aurora"...maybe you can convince him to be Prince Phillip. :)

Candace said...

That's all we have here. So it's going to be tough to break that when our "Prince" is born. He's due in July.

Welch Mom said...

Well at least it let you get your fix of girly stuff. I always volunter to play kitchen and do my nieces hair when she is around. Also any chance I get to buy a dress for a little girl I am all over it!